Monday, November 10, 2008

Get Thee Behind Me, Bagged Salad!

Let me explain...no, let me sum up: I hate making salad. Hate it with a passion. Whenever we invite someone over for dinner and they ask if they can bring something, I always tell them SALAD! For some reason, to me, salad always tastes better when someone else makes it. Don't get me wrong, I like salad, I just hate making it. The washing, the chopping, the tossing. It's all far too much work for a vegetable.

So, along came bagged salad. Behold! Here is the lettuce already cut up and washed! One step saved! All you do is throw some vegetables into a bowl, and voila! Salad! I've been using bagged salad for a while now -- there are all sorts of yummy varieties: Baby Greens, Spring Mix, Italian Style, etc. with all sorts of interesting and unusual lettuce types. However, I've noticed a disturbing trend: the salad in bagged salad goes bad quickly. Like, a day after you open it. It's not cheap either. So, if you open a bag, make a small salad, and return said bag to the refrigerator, the next day you will have a runny mess of arugula, and there's $3 down the drain.

In the past few months, gas prices have been high, and consequently, food prices have been high. I've seen my food expenditures go up, up, up and Z isn't even on formula anymore. To counteract this, I've been clipping coupons and shopping sales. I realized that one of the things I'd have to give up was the bagged salad. It was MUCH more cost-effective to buy a head or two of lettuce, do your own rinsing and tearing, and just suck it up. So I did. I still don't like making them, though, but at least I feel like I'm saving money.

4 comments:

Amy H. said...

I hate making salad, too!

I just bought these AS Seen On TV Debbie Meyer Green Bags. The claim is that if you use them for your produce, it has a much longer life. I watched another show that was dispelling myths about products and that show claimed these green bags work. I'll report back!

Most of the time, Publix has a sale on their bagged veggies where one bag is $2 and the other bag is free. If I could make the second bag last in the green bag, it would spare my fingers AND my wallet. :)

Amy H. said...

I think I lied - I think it's one bag is $4 and the other is free. Sorry....

AftonB said...

We can't get those great salad bags over here in England... sniff. One of the grocery chains do a few different types of salad in a bag, but they don't do anything as good as they do in the States. They do go mouldy very quickly here too, and with this financial crisis, I've gone back to boring old heads of iceberg.

Amy H. said...

OK - the Green Bags ROCK! My bag salad lasted almost 2 weeks and was delicious (and no one contracted any diseases from old salad.)