Thursday, October 30, 2008

Crock pot roast with gravy



I tried this a Sunday or two ago and have been wanting to pass it along. It was one of the easiest and best Yankee-style pot roasts I've had ever - you don't even have to brown the roast first. Don't let the extreme ease fool ya - it's super tasty.

You'll need:
a 1 and 3/4 lb. beef roast (I used a cheap old chuck - my favorite)
1/2 c. flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 envelope brown gravy mix
2 c. cold water

Rub the roast with about 1/4 c. of flour (or more, if needed) and salt and pepper. Place in a 5 quart slow cooker.

In a bowl, combine soup, gravy mix and remaining flour; stir in water and continue stirring until well blended. Pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Slice roast beef and serve with gravy.

(I haven't tried cooking the veggies in with the roast because it is a very thick sauce, but when I do, I'll report back.)

2 comments:

Susie H said...

That is JUST the potroast I have been looking for. Sounds YUMMY! One question. Is it one beef roast that is 3/4 of a pound or one 3 to 4 pound roast? Assuming the second :) from previous crockpot cooking, but wasn't sure from the recipe..

Amy H. said...

Susie - that is a good question!

To me, the recipe looked like she was saying you used 1 1 and 3/4 pound roast. But in my head, I thought that a really odd number.

Personally, I got a 3-ish pound roast and doubled the other ingredients (in case she had, indeed, meant a 1.75 pound roast.)

Hope that makes sense! I'm a little slow at speaking math. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!